life preserver

I loved this newsletter from Cheryl Richardson today... if you would like to receive the newsletter click here
I've just finished teaching our Movers & Shakers workshop in Toronto and wanted to send a brief newsletter that shared a simple, yet powerful message.

Last week I had dinner with good friends, some of who are dealing with difficult life situations. During our conversation, one friend going through a tough divorce said, "I have this handwritten note in my wallet that says 'You're the best uncle in the world!' It came from my six-year-old niece who wrote it while visiting last year. There are times when it literally gets me through the day."

Upon hearing this, another friend shared, "Ever since finding out that my dad is seriously ill and may not be long for this world, every day is heartbreaking. Sometimes a smile from a stranger is the life preserver I need to prevent me from drowning in the pain."

Tiny gestures. Unexpected moments of connection. Simple messages that pierce the heart. These are the things that often touch us in profound ways - ways the gift-giver may never realize.

On this anniversary of 9/11, I still remember feeling deeply loved by a woman on a train who held my gaze as I cried during a minute of silence honoring those who lost their lives. Feeling embarrassed, yet unable to contain my feelings, her look said, "Don't worry. Let them flow. I'm right here with you." She never broke my gaze until the period of silence was complete. And I'll never forget her.

Something that seems so inconsequential may literally save someone's emotional life. How simple. How lovely. How easy to forget. Please take this week's challenge to remember...

How a simple change can make such a difference.

I started this blog so many years ago, and over the years it was a lovely way of keeping a diary. Then, I was playing around with the s...