Reflections


Om Mani Bowl

View more art at: www.frangipanihouse.com.au/art.html

I have been going through my happiness journal recently, and in it I had written about goals I would like to achieve or things I would like to have in my life. I notice that nearly all of them have come into fruition. However one area of my life that I love I notice that I have been really slack with is my art this year. I have hardly produced anything.

On a visit to the newly opened gallery in Ballina, I spoke to one of the artists, who mentioned that she had gone through a tough time of late. However she noticed also that she had produced 27 paintings during this time. Art can be a great way to express inner stresses and help yourself to come to terms with whatever issues are going on in life. Picasso said that 'art is simply another way of creating a diary'.

I notice that when I view my art from a journal or diary perspective it tells a lot. The Hawaiian artwork I do reflects time I spent learning about Hawaiian myths during my Hawaiian Bodywork Training. The Om Mani Bowl artwork above was one that I did when the Dalai Lama's Gyuto Monks visited Port Macquarie. I attended some of their workshops and went to the chanting night. (If you haven't ever seen them, next time they are in your town pay them a visit. You don't have to be Buddhist to attend there is some beautiful philosophy to be learned through them.)

I started to paint four artworks for the church I attend this year, the theme was on Peace, Hope, Love and Joy. The art just wasn't progressing as I wanted. I had been rushing around helping out at church then rushing around at home getting Christmas presents organised I am sure I don't have to elaborate on the usual Christmas hurry... and I realised attempting to paint in a rush with all that was going on at Christmas time, simply wasn't conveying the Peace, Hope, Love and Joy I wanted, so they are now in the art cupboard, waiting for me. Reminding me every time I open the cupboard door... 'are you ready to be more Peacful, Hopeful, Loving and Joyfull yet?' Groaning I shut the door and rush around getting the house ready for more holiday visitors.

Well I am off to my paint pots - what are you doing today? I think I'll finish my mermaid... I keep seeing the Ballina mermaid everytime I cross the bridge to go for my walk and I love her so I am doing my own version.

How a simple change can make such a difference.

I started this blog so many years ago, and over the years it was a lovely way of keeping a diary. Then, I was playing around with the s...